Monday, August 10, 2009

with love in the name of jesus. from, hilary's potatoes

so i've decided that for awhile the titles for each day will be some mistake i've made in spanish. they happen so often that this won't be a problem.
i brought the boys the books that my parents bought, and i wanted to write in them so the kids would know they were from my parents or whatever. i knew the name for parents was something that sounded like papa, so i wrote con amor en el nombre de Jesus, los papas de hilary. well no, papas means potatoes. i figured that out about an hour later. the word i wanted was padres...

this morning was a little crazy. i spent one on one time with most of the kids i'll be working with. i was kind of freaked out for a little bit because a lot of the kids need physical or occupational therapy before i can even think about teaching them even the simplest of concepts. i was like...i don't know anything about pt or ot...i mean i definitely can learn but that's not where my knowledge is. i looked through their files during lunch to learn more about them, and then went through some assessments we have here that i'll use tomorrow. this afternoon, i spent some more time with the kids, especially the sisters and jamie. the sisters are really, really smart, they just can't talk. they understand everything people say, and they know a lot of english too, because some people only speak to them in english. i had eymi out of her wheelchair and i said ella es libre! (she's free) but i almost said libro, which means book. so then i jokingly said she's a book! and the sisters laughed so hard i got a little nervous. once i realized they understood everything, we talked all afternoon. it was so fun. i read them books, we joked around, and i really thing God used them to comfort my heart because let me tell you, this morning i was like God, i know you want me here, but i don't know ot and pt...help me use what i know because really, that's why i'm here!

my favorite verse recently has been nehemiah 8:10 - the joy of the Lord is my strength - and i'm sure as time goes on i'll need it even more. it's so simple but says so much.

some of the beautiful faces i get to work with - http://picasaweb.google.com/hilary.e.holbrook/NinosDeLaCasaGrande?authkey=Gv1sRgCK28-66Qnrak2wE&feat=directlink

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you my wonderful Hilary....I know your papas are praying as well! LOl LOVE IT!! this is why its wonderful!
    I love the sisters....Hows Shelly>????? Tell them i love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos!! when you get a chance- like you prob wont!! ...can you give me ages....I LOVE THE PHOTOS!! this is exactly what i wanted..
    Hows that Esmeralda? shes a biter you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI!! I am sooo glad that you are posting so much! I love all of your stories and look forward to seeing how God is going to use you with those kiddies. If you have anything you want me to look up on OT/PI, etc. let me know!! I can understanding how your feeling with the LD background and working with other needs. One of my students is HI and I obviously don't know sign language, etc. I miss you and love you and am praying for you!! ~Katie Chicz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hil, I talked to my oldest daughter Shannon Madden about your work and need for OT PT. Shannon is an OT and owner of Hudson Valley Occupational Therapy Associates. She works exclusively with kids. I am sending her your blog. Be well, you and the kids are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive