Wednesday, September 23, 2009

today was i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e. i was so happy i was almost in tears. and all day long i have known exactly this - i had nothing to do with today. it was God, through me, that made this day happen.

chuy has a 3 day conafe retreat that he thought started tomorrow, but at about 10am remembered that he had to leave at 12:30. so he went inside to shower and pack and i took over for the rest of the day.

the kids have really done well with the schedule. they are constantly looking at it and talking about what we're doing next, or when snack is (go figure).

as of yesterday, i am now the gym teacher, music teacher, art teacher, sometimes math and science teacher, snack distributor, nurse, and classroom mom. today i felt like i was right back in the middle of student teaching, and it felt great. i was so proud of the kids today. we wrote words that started with the ch sound. we got stars for being good students. we did some work at the table, some work on the floor, some work with partners, and some work together in a circle. we had a gym class in the street, where we played red light green light, the parachute game, and who-can-get-the-ball-first-after-jose-throws-it-into-the-next-town-over. we worked on addition for the first time. we practiced being good classmates. we sang songs together, or at least clapped along.

this afternoon we painted with watercolors and most likely painted the table better than our papers. oh well! the kids loved it.

i worked with marisol in the afternoon - she's in the morning class but doesn't know the names of letters. she's super smart because she taught herself how to write every letter, she just doesn't know their names. she wanted to work some more after dinner but i told her that school 3 times a day was too much! she didn't agree.

i bought another watermelon for a dollar today...the kids don't get much fresh fruit here, so i try to bring it for snack whenever i can. they loooove watermelon! and cookies, but what can you do :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hil, I am going to Germany for the month of October next week, so I won't be able to follow your blog. I'll try to catch up when I return. Anyway, I just had to laugh when I read this entry. It occurs to me, and I may be wrong, but everytime you write what a great day it was, you were either the only teacher or you implemented some changes! I bet you were one of those kids that hated working in groups and would much rather do everything yourself. I can relate, because that was me, too! I see this as a positive thing - you are self-assured and confident. I don't think you could be doing what you are doing if you were any other way. God gave you those character traits and it is wonderful seeing you use those gifts in this way. And that is all I have to say! Love you and I will be praying for you in Deutschland!!! Enjoy skyping with Meg - she is thrilled with her new computer and the fact that she can skype without borrowing Ben's (another independent young woman!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hil! It sounded like a wonderful day and I wish you could video tape a lesson! I just want to see you in action! It so exciting and I dont think you realize what you are developing for the future kids of CG!!
    I am so proud of you and my biggest desire is to come out and be with along side of you! Even for a day!!! ahhh why does money stop us from serving sometimes!! Have a great day and I love that you make my mornigs so much better by starting it with you! It would be cool for Courtney to come and do speech therapy with these kids along side of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mrs c - ahh! have an awesome time! i can't wait to hear about it. and you're definitely right about me; sometimes it can be a problem but i am trying to use my personality and implement changes for the better :)

    lourdes - frequent flyer miles. just get to san diego. please!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive