Sunday, October 25, 2009

whoosh! once again, the weekend flew by.
saturday becky and i went into downtown ensenada and she did some last minute shopping. later, paco and i were hanging out with his sister and her 6 year old daughter (who, thanks to her uncle, believes i'm from russia and have a pet bear. it's been 3 weeks now, and she still believes us...) when marta called us and told us we were going to a party. one of the kids in the church, isaac, turned 16. we stopped at church to pick some people up and she asked me where my bag was, because she assumed i was sleeping over. i told her no, i was going to roca de salvacion on sunday because i haven't been there for awhile and after eliseo's (minor yet unfortunate) car accident i wanted to be there. she said i could sleep over anyways and i told her i felt rude, using her for a bed and not even going to church. she goes well if i'm giving you permission it's not rude! she scared me at first, but she really is extremely nice.
her mom, who lives at the church too, is awesome. again, first impression is she's very intimidating, but once you get to know her she is really sweet and always cracking jokes. last week she turned 86(ish)! i had no idea. she acts like she's about 60...always moving around, cooking, cleaning, or doing something. she has at least 11 kids, possibly more. paco, her grandson, doesn't even know how many aunts and uncles he has!
roca de salvacion was incredible. i was having a terrible morning for a variety of reasons and it was that much more awesome to be there. i just felt like i could breathe again. eliseo led worship and did a great job, as usual. we sang amazing love, dancing generation, trading my sorrows, and a bunch more that i can't remember.
right before the service started, cande asked me if i could share about my time at gabriel house so far. it was the first time i've done something all by myself like that in spanish! it wasn't that long but it went really well. i started out by saying i still can't speak a lot of spanish, but i'll try, and with God all things are possible, right? i got some solid amens which was a good start :)
i went to the sunday school that had people from 11 up to 25 years old. it was kind of funny, but so cool to hang out with that many kids that were more or less my age. angelica, cande's wife, led the class.
there's a concert tomorrow that eliseo was selling tickets for - i tell you, i don't know why he's going into administration; he would be a very good salesman. it's (apparently) a pretty famous drummer and his worship band playing at a church downtown, right by the flag. i'm super excited...i'm going early to help eliseo. we're event staff! i have no idea what it will be like hahaha

1 comment:

  1. Hil- 4 months has flown by! I wish i had been a fly on the wall at Roca Salvacion! I am so proud of you for getting up there and sharing. By the way Al Castro emailed me how proud he and Rosa are of you and I told him that they of course should take some credit for your choice of being in Mexico- HE was so cute! Thanked me for letting them take some credit! Really boasted about you and it was like a proud grandpa. we are all proud of you Hil. You have no idea how you doing this has made me feel like i have been successful at my work...God has blessed me incredibly through you! It makes it all the more worthwhile to me to continue what I do. What you are doing will have a ripple effeect that will affect so many lives for generations...thast huge...ok...gotta run..love you dearly and loved the video! I was there singing right behind Cande-!!!
    Lourdes

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive